Don’t walk behind me;
I may not lead.
Don’t walk in front of me;
I may not follow.
Just walk beside me
and be my friend.
An empty white page on my laptop. Too warm to write, too warm to make sense out of nonsense on my own. In fact, even when I’m not on my own, my non(sense) seems to consist of bouts of gibberish fueled by a brain roasted like a Kentucky Fried Chicken. No need to travel to the Mediterranean to have heatwaves; I never said life in Ireland would make sense.
In between July 1st and today there’s been the birthday of yours truly. No, I didn’t spend it drinking, smoking and getting high. As you know, said yours truly is of the non-party-animal style of person. I’d rather kick back with a good book, cup of coffee, intelligent conversation and enjoy togetherness with friends and family in a relaxed environment. Sitting together in peace and quiet, not feeling any pressure to talk… or having great conversations… heaven!
As I’m writing this, I feel my creative juices increase. Writing = heaven * 100. My left eye is causing trouble (sure, I wouldn’t know I had a left eye otherwise), but life goes on, and so does the rest of my MS-ridden body. Don’t expect ingenious matter just yet, I’m a diesel so my sense of adventure and exploration needs time waking up.
WordPress must have been reading my mind about my talk of friends and family before, as it asks us today if we “feel energized and ready for anything or do we want to hide in the corner with a good book after meeting a group of people”.
Obviously it depends on the type of people I’ve just been with. I have very loud friends from who I have to flee after a while because they are energy-sapping without meaning to. Their vitality is catching at first, but I feel I cannot keep up with them after a couple of hours, also without my meaning to. They know and understand why. While my general intellect stays intact, my concentration span goes from very wide to around an inch when I get a blast of fatigue smacked into me. When this happens, it’s time to retire to my bedroom/living room/garden to just check in with myself and rest. I love these friends no matter what though, and luckily they understand my need for relaxation and rest.
Friends show their love in times of trouble,
not in happiness.
Other friends are more like me; they enjoy a quiet environment where we can reflect and “just be”. We have philosophical chats about just about anything, from ex-boyfriends to books, from travelling to psychology and back again. Chats like this energise me and make me realise that friendship cannot be missed; you cannot go without. It helps you see the world in a different light, from a different point of view. By meeting friends, we share a collective view that can be readjusted if need be. Expanding views is what it’s all about.
I’ve met many extraordinary people the last 12 months, and every time I felt energised. I am grateful for each and everyone who wanted to talk, discuss and meet me. Being ill, you quickly learn your boundaries and limitations but more importantly, you learn to accept others in similar situations. Having multiple sclerosis myself, I learned it was OK not to be OK. Healthy people don’t always understand this paradox and it’s hard always having to drill down the meaning of being ill.
Because of this, I had to let go of others whose views on friendship differed from mine so much that they became unbearable friendships; while I became even more altruistic, they became more selfish. Seeing certain behaviours played out in front of me taught me that this was not who I wanted to subject myself to, after all my energy levels don’t reach very far and I have better things to do with my time. From them I wanted to hide somewhere really quiet, with a good book to remove any lingering negative afterthoughts.
It just depends on who you’re with, the loud and obnoxious ones or the quiet, introvert friends. They each bring out different behaviours in me, and blessed those behaviours be.
One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is
to understand and to be understood.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca
The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most.
I can better trust those who helped to relieve
the gloom of my dark hours than those who are
so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity.
Ulysses S. Grant
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- 21 july Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | family photos food & craft
- Will you play with me? |
- Personality | Books, Music and Movies : my best friends
- Daily Prompt: From Dr. Hyde’s Perspective | The Whimsical Circumlocutor
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | writinglikeastoner
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | Chicomallorca’s Blog
- I Do Not Photoshop Any Picture I Upload | Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | likereadingontrains
- ‘Tis Not Something You Ask An Introvert | Black and White Heart
- Party Animal with Social Anxiety | Tony’s Texts
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals | suzie81’s Blog
- A Daily Prompt Poem: Personality « Vicariously Poetic
- Which Party Known By | clarior e tenebris
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) « The Blogging Path
- The After Party Diner (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- Party Animals (?): Who Was She? | Khana’s Web
- Daily Prompt: About Last Night… | In diesen Augenblick
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals, aka me vs. going out | printed cats
- Party Animals (Sonet) | Liars, Hypocrites & The Development of Human Emotion
- Daily Prompt: Hiding After Midnight | Creative Mysteries
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) – AND THE PARTY GOES ON AND ON | LADYBOY PROMPT
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) « Mama Bear Musings
- There are two sides to the coin | tornin2’s Blog
- Quiet Time is a Good Thing | Code For Confession
- Party Butterfly | The Magic Black Book
- Party Animals | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?), No Thanks | Mindful Splatter
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?). | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Pup Party… | Haiku By Ku
- Philosophy of Friendship|Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis and Me
- Daily Post – Personality | the mmmmm family
- Party Animals – Daily Prompt | oh lovely existence
- It’s National Ice Cream Day! | Spirit Lights The Way
- Summa Cum Laude | A Day in the Life
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | The Bluebird of Happiness 幸福
- Daily Prompt: Party Animal (NOT) | Tangled Up In Daydreams
- I love . . . | mycookinglifebypatty
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | My Endless Rants & Ramblings
- Party Hard | Daily Prompt: Party Animals? | Catherine B.’s Blog
- Party Animals (?) | The Nameless One
- Depression and party not a good company | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | Exploring Utah with MS and Apples
- It all depends | djgarcia94
- All “I”, Almost All of the Time | Sorta-Ginger
- Daily Prompt: Alone Again, Naturally | One Starving Activist
- My Perfect Distraction | Just Another Blog
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals(?) | Vagabond
- What if we all had a party? Everybody’s invited! | Okay, what if?
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | Purple 7 Paper
- Commence to dancin’ | Relax…
- Daily Prompt | Party Animal? Not a question for an INFJ! | Alice is Online
- The Group Personality Depends Upon the Circumstances | Iam Who Iam
- Party? » My Life, My Way, My Words
- “Do you wanna hang out?” Ummm… | I Didn’t Just Wake Up This Morning with a Craving
- Society or Solitude? | Sula1968’s Blog
- On Social Anxiety: Daily Prompt “Party Animals (?)” | A collection.
- The Caged in “Party Animal” Desperate for an Exit: Daily Prompt | Running with Reality
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | It’s my blog, innit…
- With or without Hubby? My split personality. | livingwithathreeyearold
- Curious | Taking One Day At A Time
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | To Breathe is to Write
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | iChristian
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals on the Radio | SERENDIPITY
- the urge to bake | inasmallkitchen
- Daily Prompt; Party Animals | terry1954
- Okay in Moderation | Scraps of Paper
- Humanity In My Fingers | loveletterstoaghost
- Off Track- In fond remembrance of Love | Expressions
- Meeting Them Where They Are | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Daily Prompt: No Party for Me (short fiction) | cinnwriterblog
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | Under the Monkey Tree
- How Parties Helped Me to Hate People | The Arkside of Thought by Sahm King
- Party People | Hekau: Words of Power
- Snips, Snails, Puppy Dog Tales and Many, Many Coach Purses | Zany Traveler
- Personality|| My Big Heart | Mind My Mind But…
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | Morrighan’s Muse
- Party Personality | My Experiments with Words
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals | DragonMommie’s World
- Split Personality [Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?)] | unknowinglee
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | reyoflight
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | flow of my soul
- The only Party Animal I want to Emulate is Cookie Monster | theempathyqueen
- Daily Prompt: My Company Is Energizing Or Depleting | My Daily Prompt Blog
- 300 Word Limit – Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | The Crabby Writer
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | Let There be Peace on Earth
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | life n me!
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals | Natasha’s Memory Garden
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | Personal Gallifrey
- Daily Prompt: Party Animals (?) | Your Daily Dose
- Not Much of a Party Animal | Nanuschka’s Blog
© WVE and Ireland, MS and Me, 2011-2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to WVE and Ireland, MS and Me with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.