Writing, a quiet observation

There is something about words, something fluid, warm, recognisable and true. Just a short while ago I was again reminded of my love for anything written, and how it more than likely, came to be.

Early on in life I was already a dedicated library-lover. Living above one eased the path towards it, and it definitely turned me into a bibliophile. Countless hours and days were spent walking around in it, searching and nurturing books.

When my Dutch language teacher put me on the spot when I was 14 years old, he made me admit blame for a silly grammatical mistake in front of the whole class, asking me if I had any dictionaries at home, and if so, why they weren’t on my desk when I wrote that particular essay. While I already spent half my childhood with a book in my hands, he taught me about the artistry of words by not only reading and writing even more, but by deliberately watching my words while I was writing. So many years later, I still value what he unintentionally did for me.

“Find out the reason that commands you to write; see whether it has spread its roots into the very depth of your heart; confess to yourself you would have to die if you were forbidden to write.”
(Rainer Maria Rilke)

Just as unwittingly, my illness came to be, and writing took centre stage once more. Gone were the days of writing poetry for library events, present became the need to express what physically went on within me. Spreading awareness about MS by writing and helping the outside world see my story from my point of view, it certainly has helped do just that. I was firmly put on the road to writing once more, and I never looked back since.

I daydream of writing a book, the physical act of writing, pen in hand, copy book ready, daydreaming of what would happen next. Words flowing from my fingers onto my keyboard, seeing things take shape; it is a soft murmur getting louder, a flicker of my unconscious mind taking place.

“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
(Ernest Hemingway)

I am now a firm believer of writing therapy; seeing things written down makes whatever goes in your mind clearer. What you wrote cannot be unsaid, but it is up to you if you want to share it. It’s the first step in taking ownership of your thoughts, your mind. It’s for free and the only thing required from you is your time, pen, paper or laptop, and the willingness to address what comes to mind.

Scientific research shows that writing can help boost your immune system, so why not try it? Even specific illnesses and/or symptoms caused by depression, anxiety and traumatic experiences can be dealt with by putting pen to paper. In my own case, dealing with the aftermath of being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and subsequent relationship issues, writing has helped so much so that my own GP acknowledges that I am now better equipped to deal with MS symptoms.

“I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions.”
(James A. Michener)

Many people experience paper as a very willing ear that listens without judging. The writer is in control of what happens next, it doesn’t require you to be there at a specific time or place. From studying Counselling Psychology, I was already aware of the many benefits of writing, but it was not until I sat down the first time and dedicated myself to pen and paper, that I realised the potential of writing therapy.

“Tears are words that need to be written.”
(Paulo Coelho)

Slowly but surely writing became a drug, not only one that is very easy to sustain, but one that doesn’t harm anyone. Bad memories disappeared, if not eradicated; new, fresh and good ones were created. What I do about running into bad memories is totally independent of what therapists would tell me to do. I can leave writing for another day, or choose to address it now. I can choose to keep what I wrote in a diary, or I can throw it into the garbage.

For people uninterested in seeking a therapist to tackle certain mental issues, writing can indeed be very helpful, either as a stepping stone towards real-life therapy or towards better insight in one’s mind. Any type of behaviour or emotion can be put to paper without fearing the outside world will find you weird or unable to communicate properly.

“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.”
(William Wordsworth)

Writing now is a daily reflection, a midnight thought turned into inspiration. By reading even more than you already did, writing can be greatly improved. Rereading old blog posts and catching one or two grammar issues turns me into my own critic, one that is not harsh on me but shows me that writing is a conscious process of unconscious ideas.

I don’t have to be a female Shakespeare or Tennyson, a Joyce or Yeats. As long as my mind can be improved upon by writing daily, my eyes will remain the only witness they always were. Quiet, respectful and non-judgmental.

For more info on writing in general, please visit:

For more info on writing therapy, please visit these websites:
http://www.createwritenow.com/© WVE and Ireland, MS and Me, 2011-2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to WVE and Ireland, MS and Me with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

About these ads

20 Comments

1. Pingback: A book, a book, my kingdom for a book! | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis & Me

2. Pingback: I am a writer! | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis & Me

3. Rich says:

You got it! (The skills and the perception.) Writing is a means of reflection, a way of looking at the world, and a discipline.

I love your line: “Words flowing from my fingers onto my keyboard, seeing things take shape; it is a soft murmur getting louder, a flicker of my unconscious mind taking place.” That’s perfect!

• Billie says:

Thank you Rich! It really feels like words coming out of my fingers, like my brain is only part present in the writing process (even though it fully is though!) :D)

• Billie says:

It’s such a great outlet for the mind, isn’t it? I know find myself longing to sit down and write. It’s slowly becoming a tiny addiction :D

And thank you for your kind words! With so many people saying I should write a book, I am working on something in my mind. Just need to get it down on paper now :D

• Billie says:

Same here, many pens waiting to be used, although I think I’ll do most of the writing on my laptop. Started with the proposal for the book, outlining who for, where, what, how etc. Great websites out there guiding you along… :D

4. Kelly Connor says:

Beautiful words-WRITE THAT BOOK!!. I understand, through you that there are people who write and people who enjoy reading. I used to read through enclyclopedias when I was younger-do people even use encyclopedias any more?! (our family had a set of World Books)-I enjoyed just looking up info I was interested in and I realize I enjoyed camping out in libraries, too! Writing can be therapeutic too! Love the blog!

• Billie says:

Started writing the book Kelly! And like you, I “read” encyclopaedias from front to back.I am sad they are now becoming the past with so much online info, but whenever I can, I still pick up a certain copy and start reading, Sigh… those were the days :D

And thank you for your always positive comments! Always very much appreciated!

5. Teepee12 says:

You write beautifully. And you are multi lingual? I am always impressed by anyone who masters more than one language, something at which I have totally failed. Book writing is also plotting, character building, and having something to say that needs more than 300 pages. I wrote a book, but it isn’t very good. It’s not terrible, but I’m not convinced the result was worth it considering the effort involved. Some of us have things to say better suited to short forms. Meanwhile, I happily continue to read your work and be insprired by it.

• Billie says:

Thank you so much for your always kind words! Having you as a dedicated follower really means a lot!

Yes, English is my fourth language. My native one is my West-Flemish dialect; then Dutch; French; English; a little Italian and a little German. I’d love to learn Italian from scratch though!

The great thing though is that you HAVE written a book, doesn’t matter if it’s good or bad, it’s still a book :)) I guess it’s something we all want to do in our lives at some stage?

6. socialbridge says:

I can empathise with so much you’ve written in that I see writing as being so therapeutic especially in relation to grief.
    I agree with Roy that you should get cracking on that book that;s brewing inside ~ just let it bleed! jx

• Billie says:

Jean, you are always so kind and supportive! :)

Seeing as I lost a fairly good amount of people in my life, as well as pets and part of my health, I do find writing very therapeutic. I am astounded how much in all honesty. I suppose I was always going to write at some stage because of my love for reading, but it happened at the right time in my life, just when I needed it most. I’d advise anyone to try it out, even if it’s only gibberish in the beginning :)

• Billie says:

Isn’t it just? I am so grateful that others want to contribute to my blog because we are all human, and we all can learn from each other (I know, I tend to be philosophical about the human race :))

Last night someone else suggested writing a book and hearing this again today has me thinking now. I’d love to do it and I will start on a very basic thing. I don’t want to run when I can only crawl right now :D)

7. It’s funny I should read this because it goes hand in hand with something I’ve written but not yet posted to my blog. For the past couple of years, I’ve had real trouble finding the words I want when stressed. I’ve attributed it at least partially to my MS. Thankfully writing has always remained an outlet. I think it is at least partially the act of taking myself outside the situation to try and gain perspective enough to convey what I intend.

It’s also possible my MS is simply blocking communications to or from the part of my brain dealing with the spoken word. My coworker’s dad had a stroke and wasn’t talking anymore. He was very frustrated at how his stutter made him feel stupid. It took too long, so he was increasingly just going mute. I suggested when she went to visit him that weekend, she should bring a dry erase board, pen and eraser. When she came back the next week, she thanked me and asked what made me think of it. All I could say was speaking and writing come from different parts of the brain. If the ideas were still forming, it seemed logical to try another highway to bring them to the surface.

• Billie says:

Thank you for your nice comment; it really helps seeing how other people cope with their illness and how inspirational they can be.

Absolutely nice of you suggesting to try writing things down. Not many people realise that reading and writing happens in different parts of the human brain. Not being able to communicate properly must be so frustrating and I dread the day I will not be able to do so anymore. I feel that my freedom would be taken away if for some reason I would lose speech, but I intend not to dwell on the negative part of having MS and the possibility of it being the reason.

Like you say, stepping outside of yourself and writing brings clarity. I’ve learned to strip whatever situation of emotion to see clear and it has helped big time, but writing has been key to really see things clear in my own mind.

Penny for your thoughts...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

WordsVisual

Mostly photographs with some words by this arty scientist...

Being Irish; What Are We Like?

Just another WordPress.com weblog

Elizabeth Melton Parsons

Writing~Art~Life

Humanity777's Blog

The Church of Christ

MS with a Southern accent

Hot enough for ya?

70/Four70 MS Men's Group

Where men with MS talk with men with MS.

Sean Cassidy Skincare

rose hip cleanser, cucumber toner, skincare regimen for men, premium skincare for men, acai berry moisturizer, sean cassidy skincare, los angeles skincare, las vegas skincare

Sentence first

An Irishman's blog about the English language.

Catherine, Caffeinated

Writer, astronaut, skinny - Catherine Ryan Howard wouldn't mind being any of those things.

The Stroppy Editor

Minding other people’s language. A lot.

Weekly Photo Challenge

I do Book Reviews ♥ FIND ME HERE: http://getreadingnow.org

vox hiberionacum

Early Irish Christianity and Early Medieval Ireland

The Irish Brain Council

A voice for all areas of brain science in Ireland

The Intelligent Person's Guide to Beating Multiple Sclerosis

Class, Sex, Sizzle, Style, Science and Multiple Sclerosis - Blog

The Gad About Town

All posts copyright 2013-2014 by Mark Aldrich.

The Dude With A Blog

Personal, Fun Blog That Will Make You Smile, Laugh And Even Cry

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,206 other followers